Tuesday 24 May 2011

Tuesday, May 24

A late start due to laundry duties so didn't expect to get anywhere near Napoli but the reality is I wouldn't have got there anyway ... let me explain.


Left Hotel Lido and fringed Lago Trasimeno until tangenting (if that's a word) to Chiusi. Fairly straight-ish roads to Orvieto (slurp), as per the pic from the otherside of the valley, then the best bit.
A quick segway on the subject of roads ... if the standard of roads are an indication of a country's wealth then without a doubt Italy is going to follow Greece, Ireland, Spain and Potugal with an ECB bailout and this leads me nicely to the R1200GS (if you're not a biker then skip this paragraph.

The roads after Orvieto were windy and particularly appalling but no matter the lean, the BMW's paralever suspension really came into its own. Sure footed even under very late, angled breaking during butt clenching tightening corners and a surface that was worse than cobbles; the odd skip, nothing she couldn't handle. Outstanding!

So, the approach to Bolsena reflected a wealthy enclave; fresh tarmac and sweeps and curves to cherish. Mature tree lined macadam richness while descending at a pace, it just felt like there was something to behold at the end of this avenue.



Ta da! Bolsena on, funnily enough, Lago Bolsena. Spectacular approach and probably the prettiest place yet! Decision made, I'm stopping here. I pass a campsite on the edge of the lake, let's see. It surely can't be this good. It's not good ... it's bloody fantastic!

The lady, from Wiltshire, at the campsite reception mentions the weather as I'm booking my space and upon further checks, it's raining in Napoli and there will be storms in Rome tomorrow. Perfect. I will stay here another day and time a rain free ride south on Thursday.




So, tent up, this is what I was really after and it feels like proper bike touring. The site is among trees and I'm so close to the lake's edge that I can hear the lapping of the water. Molto tranquillo.





A quick jean-clad ride to the village and panniers for table and chair, voila!




I couldn't be happier, until this happened ...


... this is why I started this journey.

I will slept contented tonight, take care you lovely people x


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment