Thursday 26 May 2011

Take Time .. The Sequel

You know that time thing I was rabbiting on about ... well, what in hell's name was I doing today? I packed up with kind "bon voyage" farewells from near-by pitched camping folk and rode off knowing I was heading towards dodgy weather. OK, so I want to go South, the Amalfi coast and Sicily the reasons, but you have time, wait for the weather to change ... idiot! That was the realisation of yesterday which I now realise was no more an epiphany than Tesco's changing the price of Baked Beans! I left a glorious place and what's even worse, due to lack of map focus, I managed to bypass more spectacular lakes (as also informed by a local-knowledgeable school friend who has a house North of Rome) and to be honest, for not very nice places with people that left me a little unsettled; I am well South of Rome at this point.

We've all heard of the North/South divide in Italy, well based on my limited experience I can tell you it's just south of Rome.

Naples? ... Take off your wrist watch (which isn't that fancy); remove your GPS; keep an eye on your bike; don't go to that area, this area, etc.,etc., and those are the comments from Italians never mind the stories from people I know who have visited and news reports.
You know, I think I will by-pass Naples, which is kind of a shame as I'm not easily influenced and I'm sure many have been and loved it. Made romantic by Hollywood and Disney, but reports of it's overall cleanliness and safety leave me cold; maybe unfair but I have 'Gone South' for two reasons as mentioned above and Naples ain't one of 'em. Conversely, whenever I mention the Amalfi coast or Sicily to anyone, the response is affectionately wrapped in positives, must do's and an immediate smile.

Hold up, am I ranting? No, not really, just a little miffed at my decision making today, so let's move on. As much as I really enjoyed the camping, a change in weather and an 8 degreeC drop in day-time temperature (as measured by the bike), found me swerving tent poles for a small hotel in Sabaudia that really feels like that 'Little House on the Prairie' (for those old enough to remember The Walton's) and Lucy, the Australian receptionist, who could easily be Mary-Ellen, who didn't make me feel any better about the pending weather. [That has to be my longest sentence yet!] So the bike is parked under cover and the room has French-style double doors that open to a balcony, garden and greenery. If I do need to spend another weather-waiting day here, then this is fine, but why didn't I stay by the lakes. Aaaargh!

[Note: I'm making it sound like it was a bad day but rain isn't that bad and neither was the day. If this is as bad as it gets then I'm still in heaven]

Realisation yesterday became lesson learn't today.

Sorry there aren't many funnies in this missive but there weren't any of note today other than the ladies of the night who appear in country road lay-bys by day, mostly ethnic in origin, one of whom displayed all as I rode passed! Quite a shock to someone who's only lay-by passing experience has been a couple of senior citizens sitting in striped, fold-out chairs, enjoying a cup of Earl Gray on the A303 to Devon.

It's approaching mid-night and it's dry outside, let's hope it stays that way ... nite x

No comments:

Post a Comment