Saturday 7 May 2011

Raining Cats and Blogs in the Wye Valley

Back in the sober Wye Valley after two liquid days in London and have been whirlingly dervishly running around getting last minute 'stuff' done as I realised while driving back yesterday that I only have this weekend to get it all sorted. That's because I'm up ladders painting a mate's windows starting Monday (this rain better stop!), which finishes Friday, then 'orf to Gatwick to pick up mum at 1am Saturday morning who is returning from Cyprus, no doubt ladened with more food than Tesco's; drive back to Wye Valley; couple of hours kip, load up the bike then back up the M4 to Reigate to stay overnight with Rick, my wonderful Italian friend, ciao caro, who will attempt to translate my wedding speech into Italian. Did I mention I'm giving away the bride at a wedding in Italy? Well, I am and besides the bride (Californian) and groom (Italian), I'm the only other English speaker, so Iya hava beena doina mucho catchina upa ona di olda linguista ... not bad eh!
(Oh, the book arrived today. Thanks, Leon)
Also added some touring bits to the bike so it's pretty much ready other than the usual checks but the only major thing outstanding is my Green Card (Insurance) that I will need to enter most countries in the Balkans. Not proving as straight forward as I thought as my insurer wants a list of all the countries I intend to, or may visit, and when. Well, given that I'll be making decisions of where and when to go, pretty much when I wake up each morning, this request isn't easy. Therefore, I have resorted to a long list of potentials within a 6 week time horizon. Not the cheapest option but the most flexible.
Another test tomorrow ... will load up the bike for a test run (will attach a pic). Although I have ridden many times before on long trips with load, it's never been quite this heavy, so need to ride-out and see how she feels. (why do men always refer to machines in female affectionate ways ... your comments on a postcard).
Right, enough for today, I feel a movie coming on ... Easy Rider! ...

No comments:

Post a Comment