Wednesday 25 May 2011

Take Time

Today was a great day, a day of realisation that I have time and should use it more. As much as I love to ride and get itchy when out of the saddle for any length of time, to take time, rest, relax fully and just let time pass by, is a pleasure that many cry for and I should cherish.
Destinations, no matter where they are, will ways be there and I know they will wait for me.

Laying in the sun by this magnificent lake, a cool breeze gusting strong enough on occasion as if also reading Jack Kerouac's 'On The Road' and wanting to get to the next page. It is that compelling (thank you again, cousin Leon), my only regret is that I will finish it too soon. No distractions other than the compulsory occasional stare across the mesmerising water and the odd, little lizard scampering about as if the sand is too hot or maybe he's off to the local lounge. My hunger brewing, I have no need to hunt tonight as my eyes were so much bigger than my stomach, when in the deli yesterday, there's enough to satisfy.

Last night, however, brought some realisations, the most obvious that I'm not as springy as I used to be and even though the tent-test back in the Wye Valley, which feels like an eon ago, was a reasonable success, the firmer, sparsely grass-clad ground of Italy, offers little comfort. Sliding into my motorbike trousers provided some necessary padding in the right places but a trip to the campsite store this morning had me pumped with a 5 Euro air-bed that has added 5 stars to my accommodation; successfully confirmed during this afternoon's siesta ... Bliss!

The R1200GS did get its time today as a rolling iPhone charger. Luggage disengaged and phone plugged in, the Apple needed about an hour to achieve full life so this was the perfect excuse to revisit the spectacular road leading into Belsona that I mentioned in a previous blog. Still as sensational as before, in fact, better; the lighter bike much easier to throw around.

To the outdoor aficionados who must be chuckling at my noviceness (if that's a word) in this guy-rope world, I'd wished you had taken me with you sooner but then maybe it's all about timing and now is good for me. Flip-flops! I bought a pair of flip-flops! 2 Euros! Can you believe I have never owned a pair of these toe-splitting beauties and yet now they are my best friends. If I ever right a book, it should be titled ... 'Bike Boots & Flip-Flops' ... but it's more likely that Jeremy Clarkson becomes an eco-friendly vegetarian.

It's about an hour to sunset (you've already seen it in yesterday's blog) so I would kindly like to sign off now and be ready for it but before I do, I would like to mention the wonderful community spirit inherent in the openness of the campsite; sort of common themes and all that, I'm guessing but the willing friendliness is smiley and helpful without being intrusive and inspires a very pleasant atmosphere; nice place to be.

Oh, I didn't mention the swan, no, it's not a local pub, but after the sun had gone to bed last night, a beautiful white swan, all winged in that soap dish depicted way as if arranged by the Surrey Women's Guild Flower Club, gracefully appeared as if by magic. A quick dash to the tent for bread and this majestic, Masai-necked, ballerina of the lake, was feeding from my hand! Why does it always feel so special, even privileged, when a connection to nature is this close albeit that this feathered lady is not stupid and likely sells her beauty for bread at all the lake-shore sites. I hope she revisits tonight, I have saved a panini.

Sorry, just a sec, have to pose for a pic at the request of a German couple, one tent along. Vot iz ze German for cheese?

Tomorrow. Weather, apparently, still not good further south but there are some sea-shore campsites about 100 kms north of Napoli that I will head for while keeping an eye on the sky.

Ciaofornow x




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Lago Bolsena

No comments:

Post a Comment