Sunday 29 May 2011

So Glad

So glad I decided to visit the Amalfi Coast; it really is glorious. Tight and  narrow roads that have literally been cut into the mountains and buildings that must use the best super-glue yet to be invented. But if you have been here or seen the documentaries (Two Greedy Italians, the latest) then this is nothing of a surprise and frankly a cliche of this coastline. I wasn't sure how long I would stay when I got here but after a delightful time it will only be for 2 days. I have seen and taken all in, I am satisfied and therefore can move on.  A splendid lunch, pics of which I have already shared; a wander around the tiny cobbled lanes and the Champions League Final in a friendly bar where I was the only Man U supporter (not that I am, but being a Libran I was trying to create balance!) and a promise to Vincenzo that I would return to the exact same table if Napoli are in next year's final. [I have just re-read this and what a bizzare summation of the Amalfi Coast that even involves football, but trust me, it worked]

Positano is especially dreamlike and I have loved every second but it is a classic tourist destination with tour buses squeezing through constantly and too many American and English tones. Expenses are the same as London and all here have no qualms cashing in on this natural beauty, not in a bad way I should add, it really is a pleasure to be here. For example, close to the perfectly positioned restaurant where I was lunching, an artist was set with his easel, upon which, his quite beautiful water-colour work of the surrounding vistas, were on display. His location, perfect. As the tourists come off the 'See Positano from the Sea' boat trips, they see his paintings of the exact same views they have just shuttered. Now add the artist himself to the scenario; Santa Claus type character but salt-and-pepper beard and hair, floral shirt, braces holding up slightly creased, linen trousers just under his huggable ponch, all supported on moccasin type comfortable shoes, throw in the friendliest grandad smile you have ever witnessed and they are just queueing up. Deserves it all.

Although it's still a long way away, the closer I get to Sicily, my new ultimate destination in Italy, the more I want to get there which has totally replaced my initial apprehension. I have a feeling that I will spend some time there but I don't know why. Oh and strangely, checking on the weather which is a motorcyclist thing, I note that it seems to get colder the further you go south!! Still 23 degreesC though.

I haven't checked the maps yet but I know it is about 600 Kms to the tip of the boot by AutoStrada, however, I will follow the coast which will at least double that figure and I will take my time.

It's one o'clock and I'm done now so sleep well and if you are already asleep, dream well. Buona notte x

No comments:

Post a Comment