Sunday 29 May 2011

The Daddy





Wow; nĂºmero uno; top dog; gold star; The Daddy! Ingredients: BMW R1200GS, eternally winding road, rugged coastline, spectacular views, breath-taking scenery and glorious weather. I did the entire length of the Amalfi Coast this morning and it is, for all the above reasons, the best ride I have ever done; so much to take in and all on one stretch of road. Stunning!
It's Sunday and the boys are out on their bikes too which made for some competitive fun and to top it all off, as I was descending into Salerno, 50 to 60 Ferrari's passed me, one after another, travelling the other way; must have been an Owners Club outing with nearly all the models that Enzo manufactured present. Oh and the ground-shaking roars that blasted from their pipes as their sweaty-palmed drivers accelerated up the hill behind me was a 'Sound of Italy' and totally drowned out my twin cylinders which certainly aren't quiet.
I also ignored the GPS on a couple of occasions and went with my instinct which proved right each time as on the way to Positano yesterday, at one point I was riding up a narrow, house-lined, cobbled street that was barely wider than the bike's handlebars and seemed to gone for ever. Had an Italian mama stepped out of her front door at the time, she would have been riding pillion before she could scream "Mama Mia".




So back to riding; I was enjoying the coast road so much that I thought I would keep on hugging the shore. The vistas depreciated after Salerno but my trusty Michelin Italia map suggested 'scenic routes' ahead and they certainly did. Agropoli, Castellabate, Acciaroli, then a trio of Marina di's; Casal Velino, Ascea and Pisciotta. At this point I remembered my 'you have time' thoughts and decided to look out for a campsite. Passed many, but then, I think this is the one; it's in Caprioli.



I think I'm the only person on this site, certainly the only camper, but it is early in the Italian season, I'm sure it's very different in July and August. Also of note is the price, 7 Euros a night including showers and electricity; quite a difference from the 70 Euros a night in Positano.



Pitched in the shade of olive trees and a view out over the Med, it's peaceful and the beach, which for now is my own, is steeply below. I will stay here for a day or two, catch some rays and catch-up with Jack Kerouac's road travels.




It's now evening and the sun is settling and after a Campari soda that came with a recommendation for dinner, I now find myself in a wonderful Agro Tourismo up in the hills, the sea the horizon. I do love these places and Italy is full of them. They have a warm, family feel that is both rustic and charming, but I could do with my Dad at the table to help me with the farmer sized, 'I've been working in the fields all day' portions. And it's cheap.

The next day or two will be quiet and I will be chilling out, so please excuse any lack of blogging. Have a good week wherever you are and with whatever you do x

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Caprioli, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment