Wednesday 15 June 2011

Skradin

OK, lakeside Skradin, sweet as a nut ... why is that a saying; wait I'll Google it .... really shouldn't have gone to the internet for an answer ... "a Scottish lady peeing up her husband's kilt" ... first answer (love the use of Lady). Second: London's East End, nut, short for dough-nut hence sugar coated sweetness. For me, it's those honey coated cashews you can get in Tesco's ...

Anyway, where was I, oh yes Skradin; according to the internet, I find that Skradin is on the edge of the Krka National Park and Bill Gates comes here every summer according to Forbes, thanks, really helpful; spoke to locals .... take a boat to the waterfalls, then an island where there is a Franciscan monestary, and make sure you take one of the old wooden vessels. Thank you ... I do love technology but often there's nothing better than conversation.
As I'm typing, the bar I'm in is playing 'all that old stuff' ... just had 'Loved Ones' by Cliff Richard followed by ABBA's 'Waterloo' ... why do I know all the words and never owned a single or album of either. Oh Christ .... "You gotta speed it up, you gotta turn it down ..." have you 'Made Your Mind Up' !!!!!!
I'm seriously giggle like cockatoo (no answers necessary). Bizzarely excellent!
Seriously, I love this place and have already told Monicka, who, of course, speaks perfect English, that I will stay at "Marija" for two more nights. So, after a ride in to the surrounding hills (stunning) I return for a light, port-side snack, "In Dubrovnik, I tasted a walnut liqueur, do you have some?". Well if the look from the waiter was any blanker he could have been a formaldehyde subject of Damien Hurst. Try again "What do you the locals drink as a liqueur?" "Kraskovic" "Excellent, I'll have one of those" not realising what in God's name he had said with all these sssh's and ccch's going on. But, but, but .............. an orangy, Amaretto looking liquid arrived and I was immediately transported back to my youth in Cardiff .... BUBBLE-GUM! It both smelled and tasted of Bazooka Joes, remember them with their comic strip inside. (Thanks Mandy). Faaaaaaantastic! I seriously have to buy a bottle of this stuff and bring it back otherwise you simply won't believe me .... it's bloody bubble-gum.

But I digress .... a couple of heavy down pours today passed by this afternoon, (as forecasted, also for tomorrow) but they were short and dried up quickly without spoiling anything, so I have booked a boat for the waterfalls, etc., tomorrow and will be taking my swimmies as you can apparently swim amongst the falls. This is no Niagara in case you're wondering.

Gonna go now, but even though I should have waxed elequant about the pine-clad backdrop to this 'sweet as a nut' town ... it has simply been a BUBBLE-GUM DAY!

Ta ta x

No comments:

Post a Comment