Saturday 4 June 2011

Campsite-tastic

So yesterday morning after the plastic cheese on the hotel terrace (outstanding view mind), I panniered up and headed to the Northern coast in search of a base.


The route was cross country, skirting the base of Mount Etna and the rolling hills of Sicilly; there are no flat bits or straight bits here which is perfect if on two wheels. What's even better are the roads; the best I've experienced in Italy by far and even better, I was totally alone in the hills, only passing one car in over an hour of riding. Perfect!

I haven't mentioned the R1200GS and should. My silence on her behalf reflects the constant, unquestionable delivery she executes in all circumstances. Never missing a beat, this is the perfect bike for what I'm doing. What does eternally amaze me is how she handles the weight. At standstill, it would take the strength of a bull to get her back to vertical if she leans more than 15 degrees (fully loaded, must be approaching 280 Kgs) and yet on tight, winding roads she can literally flip from side to side with the ease of a ballroom dancer. Oh and the brakes, with all that weight to stop, are confidently tremendous, as I found out on a couple of occasions. Sure there's been a few times when I would have liked my sportsbike back, nonetheless, BMW congratulations, she's a beauty.
Did have my first scare though, 90 degree right-hander on the coast road hand me completely out of the saddle; hit something on the road, probably diesel given the number of coaches, front wheel lost grip first, then the rear, then both re-gripped out of line. Bikers will know what I'm talking about; a moment when you get to find out where your arsehole is very quickly. Don't worry Mum, I'm fine and doing well if that's the only incident in over 4,000 kilometres.




As the picture suggests, I'm pitched and happy ... Hurrah! 50 metres to the beach and beach-side bar, large pool and all the necessary facilities for 8 Euros a day. Within an hour, I'm offered a glass of wine by a fellow camper, who asked me if I find it boring to travel on my own? I respond, "would you have walked over and offered me wine if I was sitting here with 3 people?" He understands, and now he and his wife are my new best friends.

The site is on the edge of Cefalu, about half way across the top face of the triangle and about 75 kms from Palermo.
I popped into medieval Cefalu this morning and could have spent all day watching people; it's a pretty, bustling place, winding, narrow streets, and delightful restaurants overlooking a rocky coast, all under the everpresent gaze of a Norman-Arab-Byzantine cathedral. Behind are the Madonie Mountains supporting an ancient Sicanian-Greek temple. I shall go there later, the view from the summit must be inspiring. I shall stay in Sicilly a few days ... I knew I would.

27 degreesC with intermittent sunshine, I'm off for a dip.

Enjoy your weekend people x

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Cefalu, Sicilia

1 comment:

  1. 美女政戰官貓界賭神超級辣椒禿頭狂想曲孟茜黃露瑤4 June 2011 at 13:10

    http://www.wisdombox.org/Mantra/69_t.pdf

    ReplyDelete