Friday 10 June 2011

Need More Dubrovnik ...

Two days in Dooby-doo are simply not enough, so I have added another 2 nights and will not be checking out until Monday which will give me the opportunity to venture into the hills that surround this glorious city.

The old town is particularly special and is undoubtedly what makes Dubrovnik a major tourist attraction although it doesn't feel packed but for the first time on my trip I am hearing multiple languages and accents spoken, many of them beyond European. The attached pictures do not do this spectacular, walled town, justice as its scale is difficult to capture. Full of cafe's, positioned perfectly to people watch, restaurants of varying standards from snacks to silver service, vibrant bars and clubs. In the evening, the old town really comes to life as the restaurants
eagerly compete for dinners with many offering live music while you scoff. I my case, it was a very talented young, Spanish looking guitarist who passionately delivered a full range of Mediterranean classics to please all nationalities.

There is no question that Dubrovnik is a tourist attraction but does quite yet have that spoilt feel and look that usually accompanies tourist 'hot-spots' but who knows in 10-20 years. Can't help noticing a little 'mincing' here and there with gentlemen who prefer to dance at the other end of the ballroom also finding their own attractions in the city.

After dinner I found the Troubadour, a jazz bar, that reminded me of many a
good night in the Troubadour in London (Stevie Maynard, there's only one Stevie Maynard) although Dubrov's version was a little commercial, with jazzed up 'Fly Me To The Moon's' mixed in with a 'Quanta La Mera' here and there, but fun nonetheless if the number of gin'n'tonics I consumed are a gauge (bit of a sore head this morning, it must be said).

Spent the whole afternoon lazing on the beach today, not that I need to be any blacker than I am already, but it definitely cured my gin-soaked head. The weather here has been perfect since I arrived, sunny with the odd, welcomed cloud and light, cooling breeze; 26 or so degreesC and expected to be so for the weather forecasting foreseeable future.

It's now approaching 10pm here and I'm hungry, so I shall sign off ... Happy Friday all x

No comments:

Post a Comment