Thursday 16 June 2011

Krka National Park

Today was tourist day and I boarded the "Majika Danica", a beautiful, wooden craft that was to take me, among others, to the waterfalls in the Krka National Park; a 30 minute, scenic journey that I wished was a lot longer. If the cap'n had shouted "Sod it, let's go around the Mediterranean", I wouldn't have got off!
A short queue, to pay the 95 Kuna's (about 12 quid) to get in and within 100 metres you can hear the rushing water.
The area was only formed as a National Park in 1985 to ultimately protect the Krka River and now caters not just to tourists but serves
scientific, educational, cultural and recreational interests too. The official blurb:
"With its seven travertine (limestone) waterfalls and a total drop of 242m, the Krka River is a natural and karst phenomenon. The living work of the Krka National Park is very rich and diverse, with numerous endemic, rare and threatened species. The diversity of the plant life, 860 recorded species, attracts both experts and visitors."
There is no denying that the whole area is simply beautiful and the
inquisitive way the river runs through this porous rock is just charming.

What I did really appreciate is the visitor-friendly way they have organised and planned the walks and paths through this spectacular scenery. UK Health & Safety would have a field day here and frankly completely ruin the experience.
Whether it's being allowed to swim in the crystal-clear waterfall pools, walk its barrier-less board-walks or buying delicious home-made produce from the locals
 (see pics below), they all help take you right to the heart of its nature.
It was a truly relaxing and comforting time, would have been the best place to pitch my tent; the thought was tingling but unfortunately no campsites are near.
The slow wooden boat back to Skradin allowed enough time to take it all in; I am at peace.

After a little ziz back at the konoba, I'm now sitting in their garden, slurping on a bottle of red from Sladic Plavina, the next village down the road from here, and the smells from their wood-burning stove and grill, combined with the fact I haven't eaten all day in expectation of this mighty feast, has me chewing on the corner of my laptop.

Wow, the feast arrives, should have been piped in .... I have to go, enjoy your evening.

What a lovely day ...



No comments:

Post a Comment