Wednesday 22 June 2011

Hungry For Hungary

A very late start yesterday after writing an extensive blog had me straight to the highway for an upright ride all the way to Budapest.
Oh a deserved mention of the small hotel in Lasko which had no problems at all in serving me a full breakfast at 11.30am even though my 'included on the price' breakfast time had closed an hour and a half earlier. Thank you.

Another reason for the highway route is that a vibration is emanating from the rear of the bike when leaning through corners and has worsened in the last 1,000 kms which I'm hoping is a tyre or wheel balance issue but as it disappears when the bike is upright I think it's more likely a worn bearing. That's going to be expensive but ho hum!

Although the journey was uneventful, I did learn that the difference between east and west Slovenia is chalk and cheese; the pivotal point is its capital Ljubljana, so if you ever make it to Slovenia, stay east. Consequently, I didn't feel so bad about taking the near pencil-straight road all the way to Budapest; the landscape was frankly bland, flat and featureless except for some large lakes on entry into Hungary, but I have been unbelievably spoilt to date, however, Budapest is a spectacle to behold both by day and spectacularly lite up at night.

Outstanding architecture that continues building after building taking full advantage of the river Danube and the contours of the land. Parliament, Kings Palace, Opera houses, museums, government buildings, libraries, monuments, bridges, the list is endless and each one offering its own unique historic flavour; I cannot overstate the beauty of Budapest and the brochures are probably correct, it may well be 'the most beautiful city in Europe'. It hums and buzzes until the early hours with entertainment that ranges from classics to jazz, contemporary to pop and constant soundbites of live gypsy music, the theme tune of Hungary, filter from clubs and pubs.

As in any major city, there are restaurants galore serving all cuisines to a high standard and at very reasonable prices, it's quite cheap here, but unfortunately punctuated with your usual street corner crap (Mac's, Burger King, etc). It's early days but I get the impression that Hungary is all about Budapest but I'm yet to see much of its countryside, so stand ready to be corrected.
It's 36 degreesC here today which I'm told is unusual but is welcomingly expected to cool off in the next couple of days which is good because I'm here until at least Friday. Why?
Well the bike needs a service and after a friendly visit to BMW this morning and thankfully, an effort on there part to do the work although they are full, it does turn out to be a worn bearing and a two day wait for the part. Add in a complete fluids change as the bike is now two years old and I'm probably looking at a 200,000 Forint bill, that's about 600 quid, but other than new tyres that I'll need in a couple of thousand kilometres time, I'll be machinery set, to complete my travels whenever that will be; for now I am bike-less until Friday afternoon. Boooo!-

Not planned, but I've managed to catch up with Anton and Karin (the Swedish couple I met in Croatia), as we have been keeping in contact about our respective travels and as it was Anton's birthday yesterday, we will celebrate tonight in the delightful garden restaurant I've found perfectly placed on a rocky peak over-looking the Danube and lights of the city. It'll be fun and I'm looking forward to meeting them again.

I must start taking some pics of this wonderful city to show you, so more to come ...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment