Saturday 11 June 2011

Pizza to Proto

When I finished yesterday's blog I was, as mentioned, in need of sustenance only to find that the hotel restaurant was closed. Didn't really want to go into town on my lazy day so, after some discussion with reception (great and very helpful chaps, by the way), a pizza was delivered to my room along with a couple of bottled beers and I scoffed like a Viking. Sacrilegious and somewhat naughty but a perfect munch.
Today was an equally lazy start, as I really don't need the beach; any darker and I'll have to change my passport photo, so I jeaned and T-shirted the bike to my new fav cafe, Orlando's, in the old town and spent 3 hours people watching. A spin back to the hotel, watched the Canadian F1 practise then a taxi back to old town for a classical concert.
A conversation with the cab driver had me B-lined for Proto, a restaurant if you like fish he says, and was his advise the best I've had.

I found Proto and it had London prices written all over it, but you just gotta treat yourself now and then, hey!
Lobster salad to start, a bitter sweet conglomeration of tastes that had me singing (in my head), but the sole fillets, wrapped in wafer-thin bacon, had an aroma that, in itself, was enough to satisfy. I am truly in heaven and this is, without debate, one of the best meals I have ever had. Filip, my waiter, is one of those 'if I ever owned a restaurant' kinda waiter's and the location is perfect.

On to the concert in a small, ornate church, a beautiful, intimate setting that is soon blessed with an unusual trio, at least for me. A purse-lipped, blonde pony-tailed attractive lady in black, reeding a deeply resonating bassoon; a grey, wire-haired  elderly gentleman who eloquently percolated his flute and the delicate chimes of the harpsichord played by, without being insulting, a bob-haired, spectacled headmistress. Purcell, Bach, Mozart, Rossini and Bizet, at one point, had me in tears ... A truly magical evening.
Thank you Dubrovnik, I love you x

No comments:

Post a Comment