Monday 13 June 2011

Goodbye Dubrovnik

Final day in Dubrovnik and off I go for what I hope to be a glorious lunch in the mountains. The venue is about 40 kms south (not much further to the border) most of which is via the spectacular coast road before I turn left into the hills.
With about 3 kms to go I see in the distance a beautiful spot which I hope is the venue; I wasn't disappointed. The closer I got to Restaurant Konavoski-Dvori the better the surroundings.
As I walked down the stone stairs onto the large courtyard of the restaurant, I could hear the rush of the fresh, clear mountain water, as it broke a series of small weirs. Simply idillic, I could not have asked for more, the pics give you some idea; the dappled sunlight through the lush green canopy complimented the music of the water perfectly.
I won't go into detail about the food but suffice to say that the trout fillet starter and the slow-roasted 'under the iron bell' lamb was dribblingly scrumptious. The potatoes must get a mention as they reminded me of my Mesmama's (Armenian grandmother's) cooking, a meal unto themselves.

What a perfect culinary and picturesque end to my time in Dubrovnik.
After a few hours back at the hotel, dozingly looking at maps, I'm now back in the old town at Orlando's. Pauola and Alain (see pic) that mum'n'son team I mentioned, have very kindly made me a little snack even though their kitchen is closed, which has put me in the perfect mood (glass or two) for the classical quartet that I have booked for 9. Whilst here, and you really could not make his up, I was talking with Alain about the hundreds of swallows that constantly swoop and dive with such elegant agility, around the towers and lanes of the old town and how there was no evidence of bird-poop ... PLOP! ... I kid you not, equidistantly between him and I, and straight into my wine like Tom Daley was deposited a swallow's lunch! Bloody funny and a little spooky!

Back on the road tomorrow morning and looking forward to it.

PS Concert was a musical massage; piano, flute, violin and double bass; candlelight and intimate; another magical moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment