Sunday 31 July 2011

Seek And Ye Shall Find ,,,

After a major study of weather maps the lesser-cloudy skies appeared to be South-West of Prague, so much so in fact that Southern Germany was the target. I estimated that 400 kilometres should find an ambient ceiling that changes enough from the grey misery that has tested my resolve in the last four countries I've traversed.

I set-off full of optimism from a wet Prague and in a drizzling rain that lasts pretty much to the border. Every view to the horizon reveals no break in the greyness but I remain resolute to the mission for sunshine or at the very least, a dry road.
I enter a borderless Germany, indicated by the Welkom sign and immediately the roads are perfect; wet but perfect. After 10 minutes, the rain gets heavier and is then followed by a dense fog that drops visibility to less than 100 metres. I'm riding in full winter gear, the heating grips are on their full setting, my feet are cold and the ambient temperature read-out shows 11 degreesC; I'm now in a frame of mind that promises to keep me going to Calais if this weather doesn't break, even if I have to ride through the night.
Then we (bike and I), start a decline from the mountains that border Germany with the Czech Republic, on contoured road that would be such a delight if dry ... hey wait a minute .... has the fog lifted, has the rain stopped, am I leaning a little more ... Oh Yeh Baby, we are rocking now! BMW, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, start eating these boys up, tyres are warm again, sun's up,  never been so happy to see my shadow reflected in the road .... sing ABBA, sing anything, no, sing Amy Winehouse ... oh Amy, why do all the greats die at 27 .... Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, Kobain, Bruce Lee (he was 32 but still too much talent wasted).

Cut to the point, coz finding a campsite was tiresome, but lakeside I am and look at the sunshine, what's more it's biker country, the Box Hill of Germany (biker speak), I'm on fire again.
Campsite, tented, lakes, sunsets, it's all good ... furthermore, I consume the local stuffed shnitzel with equally delightful herbed spuds, quenched with local red lubrication and actually, I'm shnitzel'd ... Aye thang yaw!

Just a bit of sunshine is all it takes, albeit that by Thursday more storms are due but I will be eating sunshine-seeking kilometres before then, Oh yes.



I'm back and so are those sun-setting lakes ...

Who loves you baby x

No comments:

Post a Comment