Friday 1 July 2011

Happy Friday

The day started as it closed the day before, work clothes on i.e. those that I wore yesterday and more logs are loaded onto barrows for stacking in storage. The happy working party is in full swing and here they are, Klaas, Marcus, Nina, Adrana, another smaller Marcus and Claudiu; with all these happy helpers, it wasn't long before the logs were neatly and attractively stacked.

Time for a watermelon break, the sweetest I've tasted although probably seemed it because it was the most refreshingly perfect drink to interrupt sweaty work.
This afternoon it was filling in rain-cut channels with gravel, up and down the track into the campsite before chain-sawing over-sized trunks.

Once done, high-fives all around and we all disappeared to our 'homes' for a well earned scrub and grub. Doesn't a hot shower always feel SO much better after a day of physical labour and as I sit outside my caravan thinking about what I can muster out of my limited provisions, I see Nina walking towards me with a foil covered plate and an ice-cold can of beer. Not expected, a total surprise but thank you so much, a hot meal, a perfect end to a perfect day. I am touched.

I must tell you why I loved today so much; the toil, the cuts and grazes, jammed fingers and my now aching muscles, it was all worth it. Worth it because I learnt today that the campsite is what funds Fundatia Lidia, a place for under privileged children to come and play, stay for a while if necessary and just have fun doing what kids do. This is a joyous place, full of happy people and all because of Klaas and his wife, Corrie. Their children have all grown up and married, yet here they are with many more, 3 of which live with them, I am in awe. I shall stay a few days and help, these people are wonderful.

I shall sleep well tonight as my Friday was a truly happy one, I hope you had a Happy Friday too.

Good night all x

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment