Sunday 31 July 2011

A Tourist In Prague

I finished my last blog just before venturing into the city of Prague to stroll like a tourist.
A taxi to the 'New Town' first, the commercial part of the city, so I can buy a brolly and stickers. Stickers: I try to buy them in each country I visit, usually a flag or emblem, then stick them on the bike as a memento of where I've been, however, they're very difficult to find unless you want a fridge magnet. Anyway, on this occasion, I'm easily stickered and brolley'd from the same shop, a souvenir shop, where I secure my needs for less than 4
quid, as opposed to the Tie Rack, I first tried as I thought it would be cheap, where they wanted the equivalent of 45 pounds for a basic fold-away black brolly (you know, those little umbrella's that just about cover your head, turn inside out every time someone sneezes and collapse down, small enough to fit into a sausage bag).
I wander over to the 'Old Town' and marvel at the many buildings, churches, museums, galleries, cobbled streets and market-stalled open squares. Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Art Nouveau, Neoclassical, Cubist, the architecture is striking and varied, even in the rain, I can appreciate why tourists flock here, it is well worth the visit. (The night view reminds me of Budapest).
I pass through the main square, the smell of charcoal-fired, spit-roasting pork enhances my hunger while I watch and listen to local folk dancing being performed in a Morris Dancer type look, sound and feel.
I wander along a riverside park to the pedestrianised Charles Bridge (above), it's magnificent, stone-arched entrance prepares you for it's elegance. Commissioned by Charles IV and built in the 14th Centuary, this is probably the most popular attraction in Prague; ornate baroque statues adorn its walls but sadly a weather-defeated lack of musicians and artists that normally fill this bridge are missing. It's understandable, it's a miserable day and a bit chilly too.
I, however, find myself in good spirits but that's probably because I'm on my way for spirits that are good! A late lunch at the Tri Pstrosu (Three Ostriches), as recommended by good friends back in Blighty.
The restaurant is conveniently at the end of the Charles Bridge and beautifully located in a Venice-like setting (above) and surrounded by courtyards of coffee shops and art and craft boutiques. It really is very pleasant.
I enter the Three Gangley Birds and am immediately greeted by Weslas who sits me at a perfect table in the wood-beamed dining room. Weslas is the sole waiter in the place but manages with grace and efficiency to keep everybody fed and watered without hesitation or interruption.
I take his recommendation of 'Becherovka' as an aperitif which is a local drink, a multi-herb liqueur whose recipe is a well guarded secret and only known by two people. I stuck with all Weslas's advice and he didn't let me down; quail egg tartar, traditional Czech soup and patato dumpling accompanied duck confit, local white wine and water. Excellent! If you go to Prague, remember the Three Ostriches.

It's early Sunday morning as I type and a check of the forecast brings no respite, rain again today and tomorrow, so I will take a hearty breakfast on board while researching where to head for ... I shall look for sun.

Hope you're having a good weekend and a dry one.

No comments:

Post a Comment