Monday 1 August 2011

Lake Chiemsee

Lake Chiemsee, that's where I am, about half way between Munich and Salzburg and where I took that last sunset picture. The day started overcast but turn into sunbathing rays by lunchtime and the forecast for tomorrow is excellent.
The minute I entered Germany, it was, as you would expect, pristine. Everything works, the roads are smooth, sign posts galore and clean.
I ride the back-roads which isn't easy here as the country is literally criss-crossed with motorways, it is an incredible infrastructure but it's real Germany I'm after.
Although the butt-end of German humour, Bavaria is very attractive; country roads are scenically delightful and the villages are cleanly manicured with every windowsill and balcony adorned with colour. I slightly find it all a little too precise, a bit Stepford (if you've seen the movie Stepford Wives), somewhat personified by the biker's who mutually frequent the pub I visit opposite the campsite. Squeeky-clean, sparkling motorcycles straddled by riders in blemish-free, wrinkle-free leathers that must have wondered who is this, slashed-jeaned, dirty-jacketed, un-shaven rider on his off-road muddied, sticker-covered, fully laden R1200. Do they ask, no, but I do my usual "guten-tag" as I pass and order my pint. Not that this is a fair experiment, but I have had no confrontations at all, anywhere on my journey, until here; "You can't park there" said one on the first day, not that I was blocking anything and a kid, about 7 or 8 years old, who called me a "dummkopf" because I couldn't speak German. His mother was rather embarrassed but I joked it off. Germans outside Germany are a lot more friendly, I know, I've had the pleasure of meeting them.
I took a stroll around the lake today and came across a vintage car works with quite a few classics including this fully restored, wooden framed, Morris Minor Traveller and they only wanted 12,000 Euros for it. That sounds cheap to me. Maybe it didn't have an engine. Still cheap and bloody tempting. The bike costs more than that! Whatever, she was a beauty and in deep, rich green too.
"SOLD" to the scruffy Brit .... no I didn't.

Oh, managed to convince the jolly camp commandant (should I say that) to let me have electricity in the tent which does look very odd I must say. A large-diameter, electrical cable that disappears into the front flap of the tent, must look like I'm powering a gin distillery or a marijuana plantation; just want power for my laptop and phone, honest.

Anyway, am in said earlier pub and just finished a curry-covered sausage that's longer than your arm and I'm consequently, properly stuffed. Basking in evening sunshine, I think a coffee and sticky are in order ...

ta ta x

No comments:

Post a Comment