Friday 13 July 2012

Pyrenees To Alps

I left the Roman village of Alet-Les-Bains this morning to a wave and thumbs up from the netted-curtained window of the adjacent caravan. I kid you not, just a forearm with hand attached, waving like a King (or maybe Queen, whoknows these days), having heard the bike start up. Then a quick cafe-au-lait avec pain-au-raisin at the shop next to the bar I was in last night where I passed pleasantry's with a Welshman who lives in Bridgend (that's just outside Cardiff for you English) but has a Welsh-German accent due to time in Germany. Bloody strange, I had to listen intently as there were no subtitles.

So where to? Having been in contact with a great biker mate that I know as we worked together 20 years ago, I'm on my way to Chamonix to meet Rob. I haven't seen him in years but we text now and then and I really enjoy his company. He will HATE me for saying this but he is Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story ... alive, fun, positive, upbeat and always smiling. One day he will realise that it's not how Buzz looks (he is a red head) but how Buzz is that makes the reference such an enormous compliment. This is a guy who loved the outside and lived it properly: motorbikes, surfing and skiing; the latter his true love which is why he lives in Chamonix with his relatively new family living the dream. I absolutely love him and can't wait to see him.
Last night I said I'd be with him by tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, not thinking to check the map. 700 bloody kilometres! No worries, just have to eat 'em up. Over 400 today, so 300 tomorrow, no sweat. (Note to self ... Road from Ales to Privas .... Outstanding! (Probably the most at one with the bike, I have ever been. I could have closed my eyes and 'Used The Force').


Found a campsite, south-east of Valence which as usual, is wonderfully friendly, (why can't the whole world be like a campsite). Anyway, I pitch and prepare my non-suite in record time having already smelt the frying entrecote waft from the camp kitchen which is where I am now. About to be totally fed and fully watered for change out of 13 euros ...  oh, bit of cheese just arrived as the madam suggested I needed something to finish off my wine ... life on the road hey, such a chore!

Looking forward to the snow free Alpine roads tomorrow and seeing Rob again and his family for the first time.

I am that Happy Camper xc

No comments:

Post a Comment