Thursday 5 July 2012

Locked and Left

After 5 days of absorbing sun and booze, the party packed its suitcases with the inevitable knowledge that fun things have to end at sometime and by 11 o'clock this morning, I had fondly waved goodbye to the final, friend-filled airport taxi. As the last to leave, I closed and shuttered the windows of the villa with the now sun-banished, dark rooms leaving me a little deflated. I locked the front door to return the keys, the sound of the lock echoing around the quiet void of the foyer. It was a proper treat and a truly fabulous time, full of laughter and the finest banter that can only be achieved in the company of long-standing friends. Thank you Mark, a 50th not to be forgotten!

The bike loaded, although this time with a few extra kilograms of party leftovers, I freewheeled down the long, steep, off-white cobbled driveway; destination Seville, Spain. An hour into the journey had me feeling very tired, the obvious side-effect of 5 days of fun and having  finger-tipped my usual "Avoid Motorways" SatNav instruction, I was being reliably informed of the three and a half hours still to go. I gave in and asked for "Fastest Route" which had me in the centre of Spain's fourth largest city in under two hours.




I have never been to Seville before but I'm so glad I have had the chance as, so far, it is very impressive. Probably the Andalucian Region's finest city, Seville has many long and wide, tree-lined boulevards that divide a maze of narrow, cobbled streets and hidden squares. The grand buildings are both varied and magnificent which, according to my readings, have Roman, Islamic, Gothic, Rennaisance and baroque heritage. (Photos borrowed from the internet)


Whilst riding around one of the largest old town's of any European city I've visited, I'm sure, on occasion, I was a two-wheeled 'pedestrian-only' given the odd looks I was getting from the many coachmen with their coach and horses, waiting patiently for tourists.
I was still tired so pulled up to enjoy a large cafe-con-leche in a cafe that had a network of small tubes spraying water mist from under each umbrella; a welcome respite in the 35-degree city heat. I used this opportunity to iPhone-search accommodation and very easily found a cobbled-street located, small, typically Andalucian-styled hotel with secure underground parking. After 3 trips back-and-fore to my now checked-in and parked motorbike, I realised I was frankly, ready for bed but I desperately want to enjoy a lazy evening of tapas and local wine.Got it! Stay two nights, you have the time.A quick call to reception had an extension easily arranged so I can spend the rest of today recovering then the whole of tomorrow to consume this glorious city with a long, slow, tapas finale. Perfect.
I shall report on my Seville sensations once experienced but in the meantime I hope you are enjoying the sunshine back home (sorry, couldn't resist that one). Oh and mother, turn the heating off, it's bloody July!
Buenos dias xc

No comments:

Post a Comment